Ted Clark's Busy Market was founded during the great depression in 1932 by Ed Clark, his son, Ted, and his daughter, Kitty Rimbey. located in one room of the family home at 118 Broad Street in Waverly.
The store was stocked with flour, sugar, coffee, cereals, tobacco, soda and other food items. In those days the variety of items available was much smaller than it is today.
Ted's wife, Marie, joined the operation in 1944 after she and Ted were married.
In those days there were many small grocery stores throughout the valley, some located only a block or two apart.
In 1947 the first section of the current building was erected next to the house and has expanded many times over the years to its present size.
Properties west of the structure were purchased in 1973 and are now occupied by the parking lot. Self-service gasoline pumps were also added at the time. They were taken out in 1992 because of market conditions and to expand the parking area.
In 1987 there was an extensive expansion - doubling the store's size. The meat department was enlarged and a new deli and hot foods section were added.
In 1988 a large replica of a bull was put on the roof to signify the meat business that had developed through the years.
In 1996 new cash registers with scanners and a computer system were added. Credit and debit cards were now accepted and electronic public assistance.
In 1998 another major expansion took place. A new entrance was added with automatic doors. Also added were new fill-from-behind milk and beverage coolers, a larger hot foods case, a barbecue chicken rotisserie, a fresh made sub sandwich program, relocation of the produce department and a return center for deposit containers. The upstairs office area was also enlarged.
In 2004 a smoker was purchased enabling the store to smoke various meats: Polish Kielbasa, Pork Chops, Canadian Bacon, Turkey and Sharp Cheese.
And in 2006 a new building was constructed across from the store for added storage as well as to house Ted Clark's refurbished antique milk wagon, it's a historical symbol which can be seen year round to remind us all of years gone by.
Here at Ted Clark's we specialize in fresh service meats, the old fashioned deli and fresh made salads and hot foods. We're also very proud of our fresh produce department, and every October we celebrate fall with our outdoor Harvest Produce Bonanza. We also have an extensive bakery department and carry fresh baked pies by Delectable Desserts.
Tim Clark and Kathy, two of Ted and Marie's children, operate the business today, along with 50 wonderful employees, many of whom have worked at the market for more than 25 years. Many local high school kids had their first job here at Ted Clark's as well.
The Clarks are proud to continue the friendly neighborhood atmosphere that has characterized their business since 1932.